Our Red Rice Bean Bowl is a perfect meal to fill your tummy. Make this comforting dish by swapping white rice with a healthy and nutritious alternative, 'Red Rice.'
Prep Time: 10 mins Total Time: 60 mins Serves: 4
Calories: 241 kcal Fats: 5.9g Carbs: 41.6g Protein: 7.9g
Perfect For: Lunch, Dinner
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup cooked red rice
- 4 cups water or stock to cook rice
- 1/2 cup sliced bell peppers
- 1 sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup fresh edamame
- 2 sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons galangal or ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 3 Thai green chilies finely chopped
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- cilantro for garnish
- lime wedges to serve
Let’s get cooking:
1. Peel off the outer layer of the lemongrass stem, cut into 2 inch pieces using a diagonal slash, and lightly grind with the flat surface of a knife. Divide the leaves of kaffir lime into individual leaves (they are two-leaf leaves).
2. Place a piece of lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves in a deep, wide pot with water and bring to a boil. Add red rice and bring to a boil again over high heat. Then simmer for 20-25 minutes until completely cooked, but not muddy. Pour rice into the colander. Remove the lemongrass stems and lime leaves.
3. Spread the drained red rice on a large tray or plate and allow it to cool. Once cooled, keep the tray of rice in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or freezer for 10 minutes. This will help remove extra moisture from the rice to give you the best fried rice.
4. Finely chop the galangal (or ginger) and garlic. Slice onions, peppers and carrots. Boil the green peas and set aside.
5. Heat the oil in a large pan or wok on high flame, add the minced galangal and garlic and stir-fry until you get an aroma, but not browned. Add the onions and chili and stir-fry until translucent. Stir in the grated carrots, cooked edamame and soy sauce. Stir-fry for 5 minutes before adding the rice. Fry for 5 more minutes and turn off the heat.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with lime wedges.