Crispy sesame tofu has a crunchy exterior and soft, yielding interior that makes for a wonderful eating experience. Make it for dinner in 30 minutes, tossing sesame-crusted tofu slices in a hot pan with colorful fresh veggies and ginger, plus a little oil and Asian-style sauces.
Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 30 mins Servings: 4
Nutritional information (per serving)
Calories: 309 kcal Fats: 25g Carbs: 11g Protein: 16g Fiber: 4g
Perfect For: Dinner
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 450g PlantVita Firm or Extra-Firm Tofu (cut lengthwise into 8 slices, well-drained and patted dry)
- 200g PlantVita shiitake or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger (peeled and minced)
- 1 teaspoon dark (Asian) sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
Let’s get cooking:
- Place the sesame seeds on a small plate. Dredge the tofu slices in the sesame seeds to coat them on all sides.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the tofu to a serving platter.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the onion, bell peppers, mushrooms and ginger and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the sesame oil and tamari.
- Remove from the heat and serve the vegetables with the tofu.