This button mushroom soup recipe is extremely simple, with just 8 ingredients (one of which is water!). The flavor all comes from frying the mushrooms until they’re caramelized and their mushroom juices seep out! Then you add water to make a quick broth, as well as soy sauce for salt and umami.
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Total Time: 20 mins Serves: 4
Nutritional information (per serving)
Calories: 30 kcal Fats: 1g Carbs: 6g Protein: 2g Fiber: 1g
Perfect For: Appetizer
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 230g PlantVita White Button Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (combined into a slurry with 2 tablespoons water, optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1 scallion (chopped)
Let’s get cooking:
- Wash the mushrooms clean of any dirt, and dry them thoroughly with a clean kitchen towel. Detach the stems (you will add them to the soup also).
- Place a medium soup pot over medium high heat. When the pan is very hot, add the oil and mushrooms cup-side up in a single layer. (Add the stems in too to avoid waste.)
- Reduce the heat to medium, and cook until the mushroom caps are browned, and each cup fills with liquid (that’s the juices in the mushroom seeping out!). Also check the stems for browning. Avoid stirring during this pan-frying process as it’s the key step to developing flavor for this soup. (You also want to keep the mushroom juices in the caps.)
- When the mushrooms are nicely browned, add the water and light soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes over medium low heat.
- Add salt to taste, and stir in the cornstarch slurry (if using). Simmer the soup for 30 seconds until thickened.
- Just before serving, add the cilantro and scallions.