The basic potato, black bean and paneer patties are about to take the back seat after you try this one! Packed with good fats and omega-3s from the hemp seeds and vitamins from the beetroot, this interesting burger patty is one for your books.
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook time: 12 mins Total Time: 22 mins Serves: 8
Perfect For: Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Gluten-Free, Vegan
Here’s what you’ll need:
75g shelled hemp seeds (1/3 cup), ground
175g shelled sunflower seeds (2/3 cup), ground (optional)
2 beetroots, grated (slightly smaller than tennis ball size each)
1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 heaped teaspoon dried parsley
Pinch of black pepper
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 tablespoon coconut cream
3 tablespoons of hemp seeds (keep separate from the first lot above)
4 tablespoons of rolled oats
Let’s get cooking:
- Combine the ground seeds and grated beetroot in a mixer. Add the salt, cumin, parsley, pepper, ground coriander and onion powder. Blend processor for a few seconds until roughly combine. It should not reach puree consistency.
- Add it to a large mixing bowl and add in the coconut cream, oatmeal, and final 3 tablespoons of whole shelled hemp seeds. Mix everything together by hand until everything is evenly combined.
- Make the patties and refrigerate until you are ready to eat. Although the mixture will be moist, it should hold together.
- When ready to eat, put them onto a well-greased pan on medium to low heat and let both sides of the patty cook.
- Once it’s slightly browned on each side, it’s ready to eat on its own or made into a burger.